A chance encounter

 


Running around Skelsmergh church in the half light, I was aware of someone coming up the path and steps from the A6 Shap Road.  On reaching him, he was out of breath, a bit plump, maybe in his early 70s. Imagine in Irish accent crossed with a bit of Northern England


  • Jesus, Mary Mother of God, I thought you were a ghost, or someone risen up out of these graves.

  • No, just running, and on my way home, I’m quite real

  • That’s a relief. Mind, imagine if we could talk to those people! What they could tell us about the past, and what would they think of now. This is a real old church, must have lots of history.

  • Oh yes, I bet this site has been used for centuries

[Chat about local countryside]

  • Actually, I’m a Catholic…

  • Ah, you need to go down and visit Cenacolo, the supported living community

  • Ah, no, I’ve had my share of Catholic communities.
  • I was sent away as a little child to the Sisters in Sligo.
  • Now they were ok, but oh, the brothers.
  • All that you hear about Irish Catholics, it’s all true.
  • The abuse, the hardship.
  • When I came to Kendal and went to school here I couldn’t believe no one hit me.
  • They used to flex a cane in Sligo, and when you were hit, you were really hit.




Comments

Popular Posts